Monday, March 11, 2013

Quality Over Quantity on the Yuba River

I was fortunate enough to get out on the water today. Originally I had trip plans with Dan, but a jury duty notice in the mail meant that fishing was on standby. Lucky for me I was not summoned today and already had the day off work. I wanted to do a float, but couldn't find anybody to float with. I spoke with a coworker and he mentioned that there are a few guys that live in Marysville that offer to shuttle your vehicle from the put in to Sycamore Ranch RV Park on the Yuba River. Decision made!

Wheeling down to the launch.
I decided to be nice to my wife, since she was nice enough to grant me a fishing day, and help her in the morning rather than leave super early. I arrived at the put in at 8:30, and got in touch with Chris, the gentleman that was going to shuttle my truck for me. I had lucked out in choosing him to be my shuttle guy because he also has a kayak, and suggested a launch spot that did not require 4wd. I pulled my Coosa out of the truck bed, strapped on my wheelies, paid Chris and gave him my keys, and off I went.

The river was a little high at 1,400 cfs, but still very wadeable. As much as I enjoy the controlled catastrophe that is fighting and landing a fish in a river setting out of a kyak, I prefer standing on solid ground. The ricer was also quite clear, with about 6 feet of visibilty. This was my first time fishing the Yuba so I don't know if the water clarity was normal for that river, but I knw that the clear water would make hooking a fish more difficult. Due to the water clarity, I stuck with small flies, and used fluorocarbon tippet. I decided that my goal for the day was to land one fish.

As I floated down the river, I focused my efforts on deep areas, where trout could stay hidden. After floating through the fourth likely spot with not so much as a bump, I realized it might be a tough day of fishing. On the bright side, at least I was out on the river instead of in jury duty, and I practically had the place to myself.


Beautiful deep hole.


After about 2 hours, I floated into a gigantic hole. If there was a trout in this river, it surely lived here. I parke my boat, got out my switch rod and found a nice point to cast off of. After about 2 casts, one of the biggest trout I have ever seen lept into the air to grab an insect. "Well at least they're here," I thought. Alas, no luck. I floated another hundred yards down, side drifting the whole way. Right when I set down my rod to adjust the boat, "zzzzz,"  my reel went off. I grabbed the rod just in time to feel the fish and then it was off. In the back of my mind I thought, "that was my one for the day." As luck would have it it was not. At the last possible place to catch a trout before the take out, I saw a fish rise as I was floating. I quickly cast my nymph rig upstream of the fish. Wham! Fish on. I had foolishly put my anchor in the back of my tank well. So with fish on the rod, I battled with one hand and paddled to the bank with the other. I made it to shallow water, jumped out of the boat, still fighting the fish, grabbed the anchor and chucked it out. I gently coaxed the fish into the net. What a beauty. It was only around 14 inches, but extremely deep bodied, and best of all wild. Mission accomplished!

-Bill
Last and only fish of the day. Gorgeous!
Check out the water clarity. The fish is totally submerged!

No comments:

Post a Comment