Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Dungeness Crab Opener at Bodega Bay


Last November 3rd was the crab opener. It may not have been the best opener in Bodega Bay, but the weather was beautiful. I arrived in to Doran beach Friday afternoon and noticed there was already a big NorCal Kayak Angler presence. I parked the truck set up camp and got all my crabbing gear ready. Walked over to the other NCKA camps and it seemed like everyone had decided to go out at 12:01 AM. It seemed like forever for that time to come. We all hung around the fire, eating rock crab, flank steak and Japanese pizza waiting for 12:01 to arrive.

At 11:00 I headed back to my camp and decided to bait my traps and get everything ready to launch under the moon. Doug, Dave, and Tony were at my site and getting there gear together also for the midnight launch. When everyone was all set we gathered our gear and yaks and proceeded to the beach. The water was so flat and calm, it looked like a lake out there. May have been the calmest I have ever seen Doran Beach, with the moon shining there was no need for a head lamp. I decided to only drop 2 traps and bring the rest out in the morning. After dropping the two traps, Tony and I realized how great the conditions were and we had to go and get some rings to use for an hour. Tony went and got his ring and I used my Promar Ambush ring. After a 15 minute soak, I pulled up the ambush net and had a little over 15 dungeness crab in the trap, and 5 keepers, but after looking at them, I realized they were all females and back they went. I decided to put the trap back  down and let it sit for some more time. Crabbing under the waning moon may have been one of the most magical kayaking experiences I have ever had. There was a bioluminescence to the water and rope when pulling up the traps. The water was so calm, I kept joking with Tony that you could almost sleep out here. There were many people on the jetty with head lamps it made it look like a search and rescue crew at night.  On the last pull of the ambush trap I was able to pull up one keeper and we decided to call it quits and head in and get some sleep. Before we went in we decided to check one of the traps, which was probably not a great idea. I pulled up one of my square traps to find a good 10 crabs working on the bait and then some of the bait fell out and all that was left was one chicken leg. Since it was already late I sent down the lonely chicken leg in hopes of it being able to last into the morning.

Dougs first time crabbing off a kayak

Lights on the water

Tony kept on getting all the little ones

Tony enjoying the calm water and waning moon

First pull of the 2012 Crab Season with a Promar Ambush net


Woke up around 7:00 and there were already people out on the water, and they day use parking was full. I figured there was no rush since my pots had been soaking overnight. It was amazing to see all the kayaks on the water, it looked like land mines with all the bouys and floats on the water. There were so many it actually took me a little bit to find my first trap. I pulled it up and there was nothing in there and the bait was gone, the lone chicken leg did not make it through the night. On the second trap I pulled it up and had 5 keepers, one which was a jumbo and the other just over 6”. The rest of the day was hard work to get a limit and I ended up finishing the day with 9. I sent two home with a friend to share with his wife and child. 

Taking the Caribbean 14 out on a beautiful day. 

There were kayakers, shore crabbers and Power Boats

Calm and Sunny

Kayaks lined up on the beach


On Sunday after leaving the pots out overnight I was only able to come up with a few crabs for the whole day. Tim S. on the other hand was a able to get some big Jumbos to take home off of the Jackson Cuda. Tim is actually building a crabbing kayak and I can’t wait to see it. There were also some kayakers who went out to fish while there traps soaked.

Tim Crabbing off the Jackson Cuda

Tim kept pulling up Jumbos one at a time

A couple of the crab from Sunday, a Jumbo and one a little over 6"

This little guy fell out of the trap

Ruben with some sweet fish!

Narisa and Melo enjoying the sun


This years crabbing has been off to a slow start for Bodega Bay, while those launching their kayaks out of Half Moon Bay have been getting limits within a short time. Hopefully the crabbing picks up in Bodega Bay, maybe it has something to do with the warm weather. In the end, it really didn’t matter how much crab were being caught, it was just great to be spending time with friends on the water.

Article Written by: Victor Woolworth


No comments:

Post a Comment